Tuesday, May 28, 2013

What Not to Do?


This morning the Pope, during a mass at Domus Sanctae, talked about following Jesus as being much more than 'doing good' or 'a career.' I was really grateful for that word because as I take this sabbatical from full time ministry work, it gets confusing what exactly I should avoid doing. For example today I got a call from a new friend we made at The Simple Way and they had some extra romaine lettuce after their food distribution. They asked if we wanted it and you know I am not going to turn down food. We are actually getting by on very little and are grateful for any free supplies we can get our hands on. I drove over only to realize that they had an entire case of lettuce and a few other things as well. I immediately knew we couldn't use it all but we told them that we knew some folks that could and brought it home so that we can take it with us to the St. Francis Inn tomorow morning for the meals that they are making there. As I loaded it into the car I couldn't help but realize that this is the kind of thing I do everyday. So am I working? Am I in some way not keeping with the spirit of a season of Sabbath? You see when your in the privileged position of getting to do full time ministry these lines get really blurry. I know that food shouldn't be wasted or allowed to go bad and I know that there are people right around the corner who will rejoice for having received it. I remember Jesus healing on the Sabbath and correcting those who would rebuke him for 'working' as he did good. Today's homily from Pope Francis was really helpful as I reflected on this question. Following Jesus is not a career and you do not rest from following Him but sometimes when following Him he leads you into rest. This entire Sabbatical came out of a conviction and our efforts to faithfully follow Jesus. We are not here to stop being Christian or stop doing good for those things are not a career. I am, however, on a sabbatical from a ministry vocation so what is it that I am not doing? I am not formally teaching, I am not coordinating, coaching or leading others, I am not hunting down resources to further the work of The Well and I am not taking meetings or recruiting volunteers. I have taken a break from these tasks associated with the work and ministry of The Well and I have done this because I am trying to follow Jesus. So while we are here a lot of things I do may look like things I do at home...in fact they really should because I am still following Jesus. He still loves the poor here, still gives us opportunities to serve and give and listen and cry. Here I get to do it side by side with Natalia which is such a dream come true for me and I also get to do it freely and without any ministry goals or long term strategy. I just get to be, with my wife, with Jesus in Philly. Its pretty nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment